Ancient buildings reflect the magnificence of a country’s history, which shows us those great achievements of ancient China in culture, art and science fields. The significance of protecting ancient architecture lies in the following five aspects:
– Ancient architecture is the carrier of cultural history;
– Ancient architecture can inspire people’s patriotism and nation confidence;
– Ancient architecture is the physical evidence for studying history;
– Ancient architecture is the fundamental basis for developing tourism;
– Ancient architecture is the reference for designing new architecture and creating new works of art.
MASSLAB provides PBL project—Protection of Ancient Buildings for students interested in ancient buildings. Students will learn how to protect ancient buildings by understanding the characteristics, technology, color, structure, texture and architectural style in different periods of time (namely Tang Dynasty, Song Dynasty, Yuan Dynasty, Ming Dynasty, Qing Dynasty and modern times); they will also learn about how ancient buildings were made and research on the culture behind the architecture, and thus they can pass down spirit of Chinese culture.
The PBL project of protecting ancient buildings will produce ancient architectural models through modeling design, woodcraft technology, laser cutting and 3D printing technology so that students can experience the beauty of Architecture. Later after finishing making a model, we will also design some modern methods by integrating techniques such as computer programming, modular programming so as to better protect our ancient buildings
Problem to be solved：Alleviate ancient buildings from fast deterioration and increase the buildings lifecycle.
Applicable targets：Ancient architectural complex and damaged ancient buildings
1) Explain the design and characteristics of ancient building groups through theoretical knowledge;
2) Combine the characteristics of ancient buildings, explain and learn the tools of wood art and 3D printing;
3) Explain the technological features, materials and colors of ancient buildings;
4) The internal connecting structure (MaoSun) of ancient buildings made of wood art
5) Learn simple circuits and modular programming
6) Make the ancient architecture of Tian ‘anmen square and design the protection measures
7) Final productions for display
What students can acquire:
- Understand the history and cultural knowledge of ancient Chinese architecture; enhance the sense of national responsibility;
- Master the knowledge of woodcraft; able to make ancient architectural models through laser cutting to improve students’ creativity;
- Master 3D printing; improve students’ ability to innovate and design independently; enhance their aesthetic sense;
- Able to skillfully use computer programming to make sensors and stimulate students’ hands-on ability.
Monomial skills involved：Woodcraft, Laser cutting, 3D printing and modeling, computer programming, modularization programming